Have you or one of your colleagues been injured/ill while on duty in the Naval Reserve?

Navy News / July 17, 2020

A few tips to consider:

An increasing number of Naval Reservists are filling important roles employed both domestically and out-of-country, under training or on exercise. While injuries are infrequent, they can and do happen. Due to a higher ops tempo, NAVRES is now seeing a corresponding growth in the number of personnel who sustain injuries while in service.

NAVRES is also aware of a rise in reports concerning Naval Reservists encountering difficulties receiving medical treatment, post-injury treatment sustained from Class B or C service. Members returning to Class A service - or to full civilian life - needing medical follow-up can face challenges due to the change of the nature of their service from full to part-time. The following article will help you navigate some of the common problems encountered by reservists when seeking medical care:


A Reservist whose need for medical care is attributable to the performance of duty is entitled:

(a) for the remaining period of duty to medical care at public expense; and

(b) after termination of the period of duty “to such medical care at public expense as the attending physician may consider necessary, and as authorized by the officer commanding the command.”

Sometimes, however, members “fall through the cracks,” and both you as members, and your chains of command, have certain responsibilities to make sure this does not happen. 

NAVRESGEN 002/20, issued on 4 March, 2020, provides valuable information concerning medical treatment for members of NAVRES. Distilled to its most simplistic details it basically says, if you incur a service-related injury or illness while in service, you are entitled to medical care. If the need for medical care continues after you return to Class A service, or are released, this entitlement continues until such time as you are fully integrated into your provincial health care system to ensure a continuity of care.

What you need to do if you are injured:

You as a member, have a responsibility to help ensure you receive proper treatment. If you are injured while in service, you will need to fill out, and submit a CF 98 (Report of Injury, Disease or Illness), and if applicable, a DND 663 (DND/CAF Hazardous Occurrence Report). This kind of documentation is crucial so that NAVRES and the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) can track your injury and your needs.

In addition, if you are injured, or fall sick before your full-time service is completed, you will need to request a copy of your medical records. Your provincial health care system knows nothing about your medical history while you were in uniform, so handing them your CAF medical record will be extremely important because of the information it contains.

Reserve Force Compensation:

Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) 210 provides extensive information on your financial entitlements if you suffer injury, disease, or illness while on Class A, B or C service; including your entitlements (more limited) when they are NOT attributable to the Service. The information is well explained, and includes a definition of what constitutes Class A service, pay advances, compensation limits and length, return to work program, etc.

The links provided below this article provide elaboration on CBI 210 and various other policies designed to help reservists in need of care. Take the time to look at them, as they will inform you of policies regarding:

  • what kind of health care you are entitled to as a Reservist;
  • locations where Reservists can access CAF health care;
  • travel compensation for Class A Reservists who live a certain distance from CAF health care facilities;
  • Reserve Force compensation in the event of disability, including compensation during a period of injury, disease or illness;
  • CAF Transition Centres, whose role is to provide professional, personalized and standardized transition services to CAF members, veterans and their families and help with transition to civilian life. (Transition Centres also have an important tracking role, to ensure your case receives proper attention); and
  • a number of other programs, services and resources available to your unit to help manage complex issues.   

Direction is forthcoming from NAVRES Headquarters (HQ) to all NRDs to ensure that all In-Routines ask necessary health-related questions, and carry out follow-up if required.

Useful Links

QR&O 34.07


D MED POL 4090-02