Admiral John Rogers ANDERSON, CMM, CD

Admiral John Rogers ANDERSON, CMM, CD

Admiral John Rogers ANDERSON, CMM, CD

Admiral Anderson joined the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) as a Cadet in 1959, attending the University of British Columbia. From 1963 until 1966 he served in HMC Ships Stadacona, Saskatchewan and St. Croix, as well as Royal Roads Military College.  In 1966 he specialized in Operations, attending the Long Operations Course at HMCS Stadacona, followed by an appointment in 1968 to the aircraft carrier HMCS Bonaventure.  In 1970 he was appointed to Canadian Forces Headquarters (CFHQ) in Ottawa as a Programmer on the CCS 280 Programming Team, and in 1974 as Executive Officer in the destroyer HMCS Iroquois.  In 1975 he attended the Canadian Forces Command and Staff College in Toronto.  Promoted to Commander in 1976, he served in National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) as the Section Head of the Operations Staff Section, and in 1978 he assumed command of the destroyer-escort HMCS Restigouche.  In 1980 he was appointed as the Commandant of the Naval Officers Training Centre Venture. In 1982, on promotion to Captain(N), he was appointed Commander of the  First Canadian Destroyer Squadron in Halifax NS, and in 1983 the Director Maritime Requirements (Sea) at NDHQ.  Promoted to Commodore in 1986, he was appointed as the Director General Maritime Doctrine and Operations at NDHQ.  In July 1987 he was promoted to Rear-Admiral and tasked to head the Canadian Nuclear Submarine Acquisition Project as the Chief of Submarine Acquisition.  In July 1989 he was appointed the Chief of Maritime Doctrine and Operations.

On promotion to Vice-Admiral in July 1991, he was appointed the Commander Maritime Command in Halifax, and in 1992 Vice Chief of the Defence Staff at NDHQ.  Promoted to his present rank in January 1993, Admiral Anderson was appointed Chief of the Defence Staff, in which position he served until his retirement in December 1993.