Vice-Admiral John ALLAN, CMM, CD

Vice-Admiral John ALLAN, CMM, CD

Vice-Admiral John ALLAN, CMM, CD

Vice-Admiral Allan joined the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) as an Ordinary Seaman in 1946, serving in HMCS Shearwater before attending Queen’s University in Kingston in 1950.  Releasing from the RCN in 1952 as a Petty Officer 2nd class, he re-enrolled in 1953 as an Officer Cadet to continue attending Queen’s University, graduating in 1955.  From 1955 until 1963 he served in HMC Ships Stadacona, Nootka, Columbia and Yukon, initially specializing as an Electrical Officer and then later as a Weapons Officer.  In 1964 he served in Canadian Forces Headquarters (CFHQ) on the staff of the Director Systems Engineering, and on promotion to Commander in 1966 as Staff Director Hydrofoil Development, and later Hydrofoil Fighting Equipment Project Officer.  In 1968 he assumed command of the destroyer-escort HMCS Qu’Appelle.  On promotion to Captain(N) in 1970 he returned to Ottawa as the Project Manager DDH-280 Programme.  In 1973 he assumed command of the First Canadian Destroyer Squadron based in Halifax NS.  In 1974, on promotion to Commodore, he assumed the duties of Chief of Staff (Sea) at Maritime Command Headquarters (MARCOMHQ) in Halifax NS. In 1975 he was appointed Director General Maritime Engineering and Maintenance at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) in Ottawa. On promotion to Rear-Admiral in 1977, he assumed the duties of Associate Deputy Minister (Materiel) at NDHQ.

Upon promotion to his present rank in 1979, Vice-Admiral Allan was appointed Commander Maritime Command.  In 1980 he was appointed Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff in NDHQ, in which position he remained until his retirement in 1982.  He died 01 May 2014.