HMCS Niagara

A ship travelling on the water.

HMCS Niagara I57.

There have been one vessel and one establishment named Niagara in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Niagara (1st of name) (I57)

Built as part of the great destroyer-building programme of the United States Navy during the First World War, she was completed in 1919 as USS Thatcher and served with the US Pacific Fleet until 1922. The Town Class destroyer was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy as HMCS Niagara at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 24 September 1940, and sailed for the United Kingdom on 30 November. In March 1941, she was assigned to Escort Group 4, Greenock, Scotland, but in June, joined the newly formed Newfoundland Escort Force.

On 28 August 1941, she was on hand to take aboard the crew of the German submarine U-570, which had surrendered to a Coastal Command aircraft south of Iceland, and been captured. 

In common with the other Town Class destroyers, Niagara required major refits on a number of occasions and on 2 March 1944 following one of these; she became a torpedo-firing ship for training Torpedo Branch personnel at Halifax. She was paid off at Sydney, Nova Scotia, on 15 September 1945, sold in 1946 and broken up in 1947.

  • Builder: Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp. Ltd., Quincy, Massachusetts
  • Date laid down:  8 June 1918
  • Date launched:  31 August 1918
  • Date commissioned: 24 September 1940
  • Paid off: 15 September 1945
  • Displacement: 1069.2 tonnes
  • Dimensions: 95.8 m x 9.3 m x 2.6 m
  • Speed: 28 knots               
  • Crew: 153
  • Armament: (1940) four 4-inch (102-mm) guns (4 x I), twelve 21-inch (533-mm) torpedo tubes (4 x III) and depth charges.
Badge of HMCS Niagara.

Badge of HMCS Niagara.

HMCS Niagara (2nd of name)

The Canadian military has for a long time maintained a military liaison staff in the Canadian Embassy in Washington, District of Columbia, to represent its interests in the United States. The Royal Canadian Navy’s Naval Headquarters, known as HMCS Niagara, was located on Massachusetts Avenue Northwest from 7 September 1951 to 1 September 1965, and housed the Canadian Naval Attaché as well as the Naval Member of the Canadian Joint Staff.

  • Date commissioned: 7 September 1951
  • Paid off: 1 September 1965

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1940-1944
Date modified: