HMCS New Waterford

A ship travelling on the water.

HMCS New Waterford K321 / 304.

There has been only one vessel named New Waterford in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS New Waterford (K321 / 304)

Commissioned on 21 January 1944 at Victoria, British Columbia, the River Class frigate New Waterford arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia on 9 March and in Bermuda on 22 April for work-ups. Returning to Halifax, she was assigned to Escort Group 6 as a replacement for the damaged HMCS Teme, and sailed for Londonderry, Northern Ireland, on 19 June. She remained with the group until the end of the European war, detached for short periods to Portsmouth and Plymouth, both in England. 

In April 1945, she returned home for refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia. This was completed in November, and New Waterford left in January 1946 for the west coast, where she was paid off to reserve at Esquimalt, British Columbia, on 7 March.

Briefly commissioned in 1953, she later underwent conversion to a Prestonian Class ocean escort, re-commissioning as such on 31 January 1958. New Waterford was paid off for the last time on 22 December 1966 and broken up the following year at Savona, Italy.

Badge of HMCS New Waterford.

Badge of HMCS New Waterford.

  • Builder: Yarrows Ltd., Esquimalt, British Columbia
  • Date laid down: 17 February 1943
  • Date launched: 3 July 1943
  • Date commissioned: 21 January 1944
  • Date paid off: 7 March 1946
  • Date of recommission as Prestonian Class: 31 January 1958
  • Paid off (final): 22 December 1966
  • Displacement: 1468.2 tonnes
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: (River) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges; (Prestonian) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), six 40-mm guns (1 x II, 4 x I), two Squid mortars.

Motto: Nulli Secundis” (Second to None)

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1944
Date modified: