HMCS Moose Jaw

A ship travelling on the water.

HMCS Moose Jaw K164.

There has been only one vessel named Moose Jaw in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Moose Jaw (K164)

Built at Collingwood, Ontario, the Flower Class corvette Moose Jaw was commissioned at Montréal, Quebec, on 19 June 1941, and arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 27 June. After working up, she arrived at St. John’s, Newfoundland, on 25 August to join Newfoundland Command, and on 5 September sailed with her sister-ship HMCS Chambly for exercises. The two were ordered to reinforce convoy SC.42 that lost 18 ships, and just before joining on 10 September, they surprised and sank U-501. Moose Jaw, which had rammed the U-boat, required ten days’ repairs at Greenock, Scotland, following which she arrived at Tobermory, Scotland, on 1 October to work up. For the next four months, she operated between St. John’s and Iceland, but in January 1942 she arrived at Londonderry, Northern Ireland, from SC.64, the inaugural Newfoundland-Londonderry convoy. On 19 February 1942, she ran aground on the south entrance to St. John’s harbour en route to join convoy HX.176, and although refloated soon afterward proved to be holed and leaking in several places. Temporary repairs were carried out at St. John’s from 20 February to 5 March, and permanent repairs at Saint John, New Brunswick, from 15 March to 25 June. Briefly assigned to Western Local Escort Force, she was detached in September for duties in connection with Operation TORCH, and made her passage to the United Kingdom with convoy SC.107, which lost 15 ships to U-boats.

During the next five months, Moose Jaw was employed escorting United Kingdom-Mediterranean convoys, returning to Halifax on 20 April 1943. Refitted there, she joined Québec Force at the end of May for escort duties in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, later transferring to Gaspé Force. She underwent a major refit, including forecastle extension, at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, from 19 December 1943 to 23 March 1944. After working up in St. Margaret’s Bay she left Halifax on 1 May for the United Kingdom to join Western Approaches Command, Greenock, Scotland for invasion duties. She served in the Channel until September 1944 when she joined Escort Group 41, Plymouth, England, and escorted coastal convoys from her base at Milford Haven, England, until the end of the war.

Moose Jaw left for home in May 1945, was paid off at Sorel, Quebec, on 8 July, and broken up at Hamilton, Ontario in 1949.

  • Displacement: 965.2 tonnes
  • Dimensions: 62.5 m x 10.1 m x 3.5 m
  • Speed: 16 knots
  • Crew: 85
  • Armament: one 4-inch (102-mm) gun, one 2-pound (0.9 kg), two 20-mm guns (2 x I), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1941-1943
  • Normandy 1944
  • English Channel 1944-1945
Date modified: