HMCS Magog

A ship on the water.

HMCS Magog K673.

There has been only one vessel named Magog in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Magog (K673)

Far more habitable ships than the smaller corvettes, the frigates of the River Class were also faster and had twice the endurance of the corvette. The Royal Navy frigates were named for rivers and hence known as the River Class; the Royal Canadian Navy ships were named for towns and cities. 

After her commissioning at Montreal, Quebec on 7 May 1944, the River Class frigate Magog arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 28 May and worked-up briefly in St. Margaret’s Bay before sailing for Bermuda to complete the process in July. She then returned to Montreal for repairs, subsequently completing these at Halifax in August. There she joined Escort Group 16, performing anti-submarine duty in the Halifax, Gaspé, and Sydney areas.

On 14 October 1944, while escorting convoy GONS.33 (the Gulf section of ONS.33), she was torpedoed and badly damaged by German submarine U-1223 in the St. Lawrence River off Pointe-des-Monts, Quebec. Lacking sixty feet (18.3 m) of her stern, she was towed to Quebec and there declared a constructive total loss.

Magog was paid off on 20 December 1944 to care and maintenance, and sold in 1945 to Marine Industries Ltd., Sorel, Quebec, who scrapped her in 1947.

  • Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Quebec
  • Laid down: 16 June 1943
  • Launched: 22 September 1943
  • Date commissioned: 7 May 1944
  • Date paid off: 20 December 1944
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Gulf of St. Lawrence 1944
Date modified: