HMCS Mackenzie

A ship travelling on the water.

HMCS Mackenzie 261.

There has been only one vessel named Mackenzie in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Mackenzie (261)

Built by Canadian Vickers, Montreal, Quebec, the destroyer escort Mackenzie was commissioned on 6 October 1962. She was the lead ship of her class and gave her name to it.

Initially based at Halifax, Nova Scotia she sailed for the west coast on 2 March 1963, and spent the remainder of her service life in Pacific waters. Between 25 May 1986, and 16 January 1987, she received her Destroyer Life Extension (DELEX) refit at Ship Repair Unit (Pacific) in Esquimalt, British Columbia. 

Throughout her 30 years of service, she visited 96 foreign ports and steamed 845,640 nautical miles, either as a unit of the 4th Canadian Destroyer Squadron or of Training Group Pacific where she was used to instruct junior naval officers in ship handling, navigation and marine engineering. Mackenzie was paid off on 3 August 1993.

Badge of HMCS Mackenzie.

Badge of HMCS Mackenzie.

On 16 September 1995, like several of her sisters, Mackenzie was sunk off Rum Island near Sidney, British Columbia, as a sport-divers' venue.

  • Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Quebec
  • Laid down: 15 December 1958
  • Launched: 25 May 1961
  • Date commissioned: 6 October 1962
  • Date paid off: 3 August 1993
  • Displacement: 2,380 tons
  • Dimensions: 111.6 m x 12.8 m x 4.1 m
  • Speed: 28 knots
  • Crew: 245
  • Armament: four 3-inch (76-mm) (2 x II), 2 Limbo anti-submarine warfare (ASW) mortars, six ASW torpedoes tubes (2 x III).

Motto: “By Virtue and Valour”

Date modified: