HMCS Longueuil

A ship on the water.

HMCS Longueuil K672.

There has been only one vessel named Longueuil in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Longueuil (K672)

Far more habitable ships than the smaller corvettes, the frigates of the River Class were also faster and had twice the endurance of the corvette. The Royal Navy frigates were named for rivers and hence known as the River Class; the Royal Canadian Navy ships were named for towns and cities. The Admiralty, at the suggestion of Vice-Admiral Percy Nelles, Canada’s Chief of Naval Staff, adopted the name “frigate”. The ships were first called “twin-crew corvette” and they were intended to remedy the corvettes’ shortcoming as an ocean escort. 

Commissioned on 18 May 1944 at Montreal, Quebec, the River Class frigate Longueuil arrived in Bermuda on 30 June for work-ups. In July, she became a member of Escort Group C-2, and on 7 August left St. John’s, Newfoundland, for Londonderry, Northern Ireland, with convoy HXF.302. She spent her entire wartime career on convoy duty and, at various times, was the Senior Officer’s ship of her group.

Returning to Canada in June of 1945 she proceeded to Vancouver, British Columbia, for refit, but this was cancelled and the ship paid off 31 December at Esquimalt, British Columbia.

Longueuil was sold in 1947 and reportedly expended as part of a breakwater at Kelsey Bay, British Columbia, in 1948.

  • Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Quebec.
  • Laid down: 17 July 1943
  • Launched: 30 October 1943
  • Date commissioned: 18 May 1944
  • Date paid off: 31 December 1945
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1944-1945
Date modified: