HMCS Lanark

A ship travelling on the water.

HMCS Lanark K669 / 321.

There has been only one vessel named Lanark in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Lanark (K669 / 321)

Alternatively named for the town of Perth, Ontario, because the latter name was used by another ship, she was commissioned on 6 July 1944 at Montreal, Quebec. The River Class frigate Lanark arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia on 28 July. She carried out work-ups in Bermuda in September and, returning to Halifax in October, was assigned to the newly formed Escort Group C-7, Londonderry, Northern Ireland. She spent the balance of the European war on convoy duty, most of that time as Senior Officer’s ship, and sailed for home in early June 1945.

In mid-July, she began refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, but this was called off on 31 August 1945 and the ship was paid off at Sydney, Nova Scotia on 24 October.

Badge of HMCS Lanark.

Badge of HMCS Lanark.

She was then placed in reserve at Shelburne, Nova Scotia, but was sold to Marine Industries Ltd. in 1946. Later re-purchased by the Royal Canadian Navy, she was converted to a Prestonian Class ocean escort 1954-55, and on 26 April 1956 re-commissioned for training purposes on the east coast. Lanark was paid off for the last time on 16 March 1965, and broken up at La Spezia, Italy the following year.

  • Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Quebec
  • Laid down: 25 September 1943
  • Launched: 10 December 1943
  • Commissionning date: 6 July 1944
  • Paying off date: 24 October 1945
  • Re-commissionning date as Prestonian Class: 15 April 1956
  • Paying off date (final): 19 March 1965
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: (River) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges; (Prestonian) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), six 40-mm guns (1 x II, 4 x I), two Squid mortars.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1944-1945
Date modified: