HMCS Kirkland Lake

A ship on the water.

HMCS Kirkland Lake K337.

There has been only one vessel named Kirkland Lake in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Kirkland Lake (K337)

Far more habitable ships than the smaller corvettes, the frigates of the River Class were also faster and had twice the endurance of the corvette. The Royal Navy frigates were named for rivers and hence known as the River class; the Royal Canadian Navy ships were named for towns and cities. The Admiralty, at the suggestion of Vice-Admiral Percy Nelles, Canada’s Chief of Naval Staff, adopted the name “frigate”. The ships were first called “twin-crew corvette” and they were intended to remedy the corvettes’ shortcoming as an ocean escort.

Commissioned at Quebec City, Quebec, on 21 August 1944, this River Class frigate arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 10 September and left on 20 November for work-ups in Bermuda. On her return to Halifax in December, Kirkland Lake was assigned to Escort Group 16, leaving on 8 March 1945 for Londonderry, Northern Ireland, when the group was transferred there. She was based at various times at both Londonderry and Portsmouth, England and in May 1945 escorted two convoys to Gibraltar and back.

She returned to Canada in June for refit at Quebec City, and when this was completed on 5 November she returned to Halifax. Kirkland Lake was paid off 14 December 1945 to maintenance reserve in Bedford Basin, and broken up at Sydney, Nova Scotia, 1947-1948.

  • Builder: Morton Engineering and Dry Dock Co., Quebec City, Quebec
  • Laid down: 16 November 1943
  • Launched: 27 April 1944
  • Commissionning date: 21 August 1944
  • Paying off date: 14 December 1945
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges.
Date modified: