HMCS Kamloops

A ship on the water.

HMCS Kamloops K176.

There has been only one vessel named Kamloops in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Kamloops (K176)

Commissioned at Victoria, British Columbia, on 17 March 1941, the Flower Class corvette Kamloops arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 19 June and was assigned to Halifax Force, serving as a local escort until the end of the year. In January 1942, she commenced a year’s duty as anti-submarine training ship at Halifax and Pictou, Nova Scotia.

In mid-February 1943, she completed a three-month refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, and after working up at Halifax joined Western Local Escort Force in March. She transferred in June to Escort Group C-2, Newfoundland Command, and served with this group as an ocean escort for the remainder of the war.

In September 1943, she was with combined convoy ON.202/ONS.18, which lost six merchant ships and three escorts. In mid-December, she began a refit at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, completed on 25 April 1944, in the course of which her forecastle was extended. Following workups in Bermuda in June she rejoined Escort Group C-2.

She was paid off at Sorel, Quebec, 27 June 1945 and sold in 1946 to an Amherstburg, Ontario, tug operator.

  • Builder: Victoria Machinery Depot Co. Ltd., Victoria, British Columbia.
  • Laid down: 29 April 1940
  • Launched: 7 August 1940
  • Date commissioned: 17 March 1941
  • Date paid off: 27 June 1945
  • Displacement: 950 tons
  • Dimensions: 62.5 m x 10.1 m x 3.5 m
  • Speed: 16 knots
  • Crew: 85
  • Armament: one 4-inch (102-mm)

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1941, 1943-1945
  • Gulf of St. Lawrence 1942
Date modified: