HMCS Inch Arran

A ship tied to the docks.

HMCS Inch Arran K667 / 308.

There has been only one vessel named Inch Arran in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Inch Arran (K667 / 308)

Alternatively named for the town of Dalhousie, New Brunswick because the latter name was borne by another Commonwealth ship.  This River Class frigate was commissioned on 8 November 1944 at Quebec City, Quebec, and left for Halifax, Nova Scotia on 3 December, visiting Dalhousie en route.  In January, she proceeded to Bermuda to work up, and on her return to Halifax on 4 February was assigned to Escort Group 28.  She served for the rest of the war on anti-submarine and support duties out of Halifax, and on 13 May escorted the surrendered German submarine U-889 into Shelburne, Nova Scotia.

A refit commenced on 6 June at Sydney, Nova Scotia, was suspended on 20 August, and the ship was paid off 28 November 1945.  Placed in reserve at Shelburne, she was sold in 1946 to Marine Industries Ltd., but reacquired in 1951 by the Royal Canadian Navy for conversion to a Prestonian Class escort at Saint John, New Brunswick.  Re-commissioned on 23 August 1954, Inch Arran served on the east coast as a training ship until finally paid off on 23 June 1965.  She was then acquired by the Kingston Mariner’s Association for conversion to a nautical museum and youth club, but was eventually scrapped in 1970.

Badge of HMCS Inch Arran.

Badge of HMCS Inch Arran.

  • Builder: Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Co. Ltd., Lauzon, Quebec.
  • Laid down: 25 October 1943
  • Launched: 6 June 1944
  • Commissionning date: 18 November 1944
  • Paying off date: 21 November 1945
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Recommissionning date as Prestonian class: 23 August 1954
  • Paying off date (final):  23 June 1965
  • Armament: (River) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges; (Prestonian)two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), six 40-mm guns (1 x II, 4 x I), two Squid Mortars.
Date modified: