HMCS Eastview

A ship travelling on the water.

HMCS Eastview K665.

There has been only one vessel named Eastview in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Eastview (K665)

Far more habitable ships than the smaller corvettes, the frigates of the River class were also faster and had twice the endurance of the corvette. The Royal Navy frigates were named for rivers and hence known as the River class; the Royal Canadian Navy ships were named for towns and cities. 

Alternatively named for the Town of Ottawa, Ontario, because that name was borne by another Canadian ship, the River class frigate Eastview was commissioned at Montreal, Quebec, on 3 June 1944.  She arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 26 June and proceeded to Bermuda to work up. On her return in August, she was attached to Escort Group C-6 as Senior Officer’s ship, and left St. John’s, Newfoundland, on 18 September with her first convoy, HXF.308. For the balance of the European war, she was continuously on Atlantic convoy duty, and was one of the escorts of HX.358, the last HX convoy of the war, leaving St. John’s on 27 May 1945. That July, she went to the west coast and had barely commenced refit when work was stopped and the ship laid up in reserve at Esquimalt, British Columbia.

Eastview was paid off 17 January 1946 and sold in 1947. Her hull was made part of a breakwater at Oyster Bay, British Columbia, the following year.

  • Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Quebec
  • Laid down: 26 August 1943
  • Launched: 17 November 1943
  • Commissionning date: 3 June 1944
  • Paying off date: 17 January 1946
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament:  two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), Hedgehog and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1944-1945
Date modified: