HMCS Cobalt

A naval ship travels through water.

HMCS Cobalt K124

There has been only one vessel named Cobalt in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Cobalt (K124)

Built at Port Arthur, now Tunder Bay, Ontario, and commissioned there on 25 November 1940, the Flower Class corvette Cobalt was taken to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in advance of completion to beat the St. Lawrence freeze-up, arriving 24 December. Completing early in January 1941, she worked up and joined Halifax Force, but left on 23 May with the other six corvettes that first formed Newfoundland Escort Group.

For the next six months she operated as an ocean escort between St. John’s, Newfoundland, and Iceland, proceeding in mid-November to Liverpool, Nova Scotia for a three month refit. Following completion she made two round trips to Londonderry, Northern Ireland, before being assigned in May 1942 to Western Local Escort Force, with which she was to spend the balance of the war. Cobalt served with Escort Group W-6 from June 1943; with W-5 from April 1944; and with W-7 from February 1945. During the second of two other extensive refits at Liverpool, Nova Scotia from April to 20 July 1944 her forecastle was lengthened.

Cobalt was paid off at Sorel, Quebec, on 17 June 1945 and subsequently sold for conversion to a whale-catcher, entering service in 1953 as the Dutch Johanna W. Vinke. On 31 December 1961 she suffered a boiler explosion while whaling, and was declared a constructive total loss. She was broken up at Cape Town, South Africa in 1963.

  • Builder: Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Port Arthur, Ontario
  • Laid down: 1 April 1940
  • Launched: 17 August 1940
  • Date commissioned: 25 November 1940
  • Date paid off: 17 June 1945
  • Displacement: 950 tons
  • Dimensions: 62.5 m x 10.1 m x 3.5 m
  • Speed: 16 knots
  • Crew: 85
  • Armament: one 4-inch (102-mm) gun, one 2-pound (0.9 kg) gun, two 20-mm guns (2 x I), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1941-1945
Date modified: