HMCS Carlplace

There has been only one vessel named Carlplace in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Carlplace (K664)

Named for Carleton Place, Ontario, the River class frigate Carlplace was commissioned on 13 December 1944 at Quebec City, Quebec, and was the last Royal Canadian Navy frigate to enter service during the war.

En route to Halifax, Nova Scotia, she suffered serious ice damage to her hull, which required several weeks’ repairs at Halifax and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She then proceeded to Bermuda to work-up, returning to Halifax on 24 March 1945.

In April, she was allocated to Escort Group 16, Londonderry, Northern Ireland, and sailed for the Clyde via the Azores, escorting a Royal Navy submarine homeward bound from refit in the United States. She finally arrived at Londonderry on 23 April, and left on 5 May 1945 to escort convoys to and from Gibraltar.

Later in May, she returned to Canada for refit at Saint John, New Brunswick. Work began on 2 June and continued at Shelburne, Nova Scotia on 10 July, until the work was called off on 20 August. On 13 November 1945, the ship was paid off at Halifax and laid up at Shelburne. Sold to the Dominican Republic in 1946 for conversion to a presidential yacht, she was renamed Presidente Trujillo and, in 1962, Mella.

  • Builder: Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Co. Ltd., Lauzon, Quebec
  • Laid down: 30 November 1943
  • Launched: 6 July 1944
  • Commissionning date: 13 December 1944
  • Paying off date: 13 November 1945
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), Hedgehog and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1945
Date modified: