HMCS Capilano

A naval ship travels on the water.

HMCS Capilano K409

There has been only one vessel named Capilano in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Capilano (K409)

Commissioned at Victoria, British Columbia, on 25 August 1944, the River class frigate Capilano was named in honour of Town of North Vancouver, British Columbia, because there was a ship named HMCS Vancouver in the Royal Canadian Navy. She arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 20 October. Following workups begun in St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia, and completed in Bermuda in November, she joined Escort Group C-2 in St. John’s, Newfoundland, and was continuously on North Atlantic convoy duty until Victory in Europe-Day.

She left Londonderry, Northern Ireland, for the last time on 30 May 1945, and on 10 June began refit at Shelburne, Nova Scotia. The work was completed on 13 October, and on 24 November 1945 the ship was paid off at Halifax and placed in reserve in Bedford Basin.

She was sold for mercantile use in 1947, and in 1948 appeared under Jamaican registry as Irving Francis M. She foundered in 1953 off the Cuban coast while en route from Jamaica to Miami in tow of Bess Barry M., the former HMCS St. Boniface.

  • Builder: Yarrows Ltd., Esquimalt, British Columbia
  • Laid down: 18 November 1943
  • Launched: 8 April 1944
  • Commissionning date: 25 August 1944
  • Paying off date: 24 November 1945
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: two 4-inch (102-mm) gun (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), Hedgehog and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1944-1945
Date modified: