HMCS Cap de la Madeleine

A ship on the water

HMCS Cap de la Madeleine K663 / 317

There has been only one vessel named Cap de la Madeleine in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Cap de la Madeleine (K663 / 317)

Commissioned 30 September 1944 at Québec City, Québec, the River Class frigate Cap de la Madeleine arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, 20 October, and soon afterward sailed for Bermuda to work up. Returning in December, she was allocated to Escort Group C-7, Mid Ocean Escort Force based at St. John’s, Newfoundland. She left that port 28 December 1944 to accompany convoy HX.328 eastward, but was detached on 3 January to the westbound convoy ONS.39, as she had to return for repairs. These were carried out at St. John’s, Halifax, and Québec, and completed 7 May 1945. She then began refit at Lauzon, Québec, but this was cancelled in August owing to termination of hostilities, and the ship was paid off 25 November at Shelburne, Nova Scotia.

Cap de la Madeleine was sold to Marine Industries Ltd., but later reacquired by the Royal Canadian Navy and converted to a Prestonian Class frigate. Re-commissioned on 7 December 1954, she served on the east coast until paid off on 15 May 1965. She was broken up the following year at La Spezia, Italy.

Badge of HMCS Cap de la Madeleine
  • Builder: Morton Engineering and Dry Dock Co., Québec City, Québec
  • Laid down: 5 November 1943
  • Launched: 13 May 1944
  • Date commissioned: 30 September 1944
  • Date paid off (final): 15 May 1965
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: (River) two 4-inch (102-mm) (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges; (Prestonian) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 x II), six 40-mm guns (1 x II, 4 x I), two Squid mortars.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1945
Date modified: