HMCS Bayfield

A naval ship travels on the water on a cloudy day.

HMCS Bayfield J08

There has been only one vessel named Bayfield in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Bayfield (J08)

Named for the village of Bayfield, Nova Scotia, the Bangor class minesweeper Bayfield was built at Vancouver, British Columbia for the Royal Navy, but transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy for manning before commissioning on 26 February 1942.

After working up, Bayfield joined Esquimalt Force in May, but was transferred to Prince Rupert Force in November, returning to Esquimalt, British Columbia in March 1943 for reassignment to the east coast. She left Esquimalt on 18 March, arriving at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 30 April and, after a major refit at Baltimore, Maryland, joined Halifax Force until ordered to the United Kingdom for invasion duties.

On 18 February 1944, with HMCS Georgian, Mulgrave and Thunder, she left Halifax for Plymouth, England, via the Azores, arriving on 7 March. Allocated to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla, she was present on D-Day, and she remained with Plymouth Command until paid off on 22 September 1945. Returned to the Royal Navy, she was placed in reserve at Sheerness until 1948, when she was broken up at Gateshead.

  • Builder: North Van Ship Repairs Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia
  • Laid down: 30 December 1940
  • Launched: 26 May 1941
  • Commissioning date: 26 February 1942
  • Paying off date: 24 September 1945
  • Displacement: 672 tons              
  • Dimensions: 54.9 m x 8.7 m x 2.5 m
  • Speed: 16 knots
  • Crew: 83
  • Armament: one 12-pounder (5.45 kg) gun, two 20-mm guns and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1943-1944
  • Normandy 1944
Date modified: