HMCS Baddeck

A naval ship travels on the water.

HMCS Baddeck K147

There has been only one vessel named Baddeck in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Baddeck (K147)

Commissioned at Québec City, Quebec, on 18 May 1941, the Flower Class corvette Baddeck arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 29 May. She again left Québec City late in June for Halifax, escorting SS Lady Rodney, but had to return to her builders at Lauzon, Quebec, owing to an engine breakdown. In September, the two ships set out from Halifax for Jamaica, but again Baddeck’s engine failed, and she reached her destination only with difficulty. When further repairs had been completed, she was assigned to Newfoundland Command, leaving Sydney, Nova Scotia, on 5 October for Iceland as ocean escort to convoy SC.48, which lost nine ships to U-boats. Engine repairs kept her at Hvalfjord, Iceland, until mid-December but failed to cure the problem and she was in dock at Halifax for the first six months of 1942. She worked up at Pictou, Nova Scotia, in July 1942, and then joined Western Local Escort Force until allocated to duties in connection with the invasion of North Africa, arriving at Londonderry, Northern Ireland, on 1 November. For the next four months she escorted United Kingdom-Mediterranean convoys, returning to Halifax on 4 April 1943. Later that month, Baddeck was assigned to Escort Group C-4 for two round trips to Londonderry, and then in mid-July went to Escort Group W-2, Western Local Escort Force. In August she commenced a major refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, including forecastle extension, and after working up in St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia, in January 1944 sailed in March to join Escort Group 9, Londonderry. In April she transferred to Western Approaches Command for invasion escort duties, based at Portsmouth, England, and on 13 June beat off an attack by motor torpedo boats while so employed. In September she was transferred to Nore Command, based at Sheerness, England, escorting local convoys until her departure for home on 24 May 1945. She was paid off at Sorel, Quebec, on 4 July and sold for mercantile purposes in 1946, renamed Efthalia. After a number of name changes, she was lost ashore near Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, as the Greek-flag Evi on 11 March 1966.

  • Builder: Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Co. Ltd., Lauzon, Québec
  • Laid down: 14 August 1940
  • Launched: 20 November 1940
  • Date commissioned: 18 May 1941
  • Date paid off: 4 July 1945
  • Displacement: 950 tons
  • Dimensions: 62.5 m x 10.1 m x 3.5 m
  • Speed: 16 knots
  • Crew: 85
  • Armament: one 4-inch (102-mm) gun, one 2-pound (0.9 kg) gun, two 20-mm guns (2 x I), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1941-1945
  • Normandy 1944
  • English Channel 1944-1945
Date modified: