HMCS Arrowhead

A naval ship travels through the water on a sunny day.

HMCS Arrowhead K145

There has been only one vessel named Arrowhead in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Arrowhead (K145)

Commissioned at Sorel, Quebec, on 22 November 1940, the Flower Class corvette Arrowhead arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 3 December, carried out workups and sailed on 21 January 1941 with convoy HX.104 for Sunderland, England. There, she was in dockyard hands for the two months’ work required to complete her fully. After working up at Tobermory, Scotland, she joined Escort Group 4, Iceland Command (Royal Navy), and in June transferred to the newly formed Newfoundland Escort Force where she escorted convoys between St. John’s, Newfoundland, and Iceland, proceeding early in December to Charleston, South Carolina for refit. Back in Halifax in February 1942, she made one round trip to Londonderry, Northern Ireland, before joining Western Local Escort Force. In July she transferred to Gulf Escort Force, escorting Québec/Gaspé-Sydney convoys, and in October joined Halifax Force and for two months escorted Québec-Labrador convoys. On 30 November, she joined Western Local Escort Force at Halifax, to remain with it until August 1944. When this escort force was divided into escort groups in June 1943, shebecame a member of Escort Group W-7, transferring to W-1 that December. During this period she underwent two refits: at Charleston, South Carolina, in the spring of 1943 and at Baltimore, Maryland, a year later. In September 1944 she joined Québec Force and was again employed escorting Québec-Labrador convoys. In December, she transferred to Escort Group W-8, Western Local Escort Force, and served on the “triangle run” (Halifax, St. John’s, New York/Boston) for the balance of the war. On 27 May 1945, Arrowhead left St. John’s to join convoy HX.358 for passage to Britain, where she was paid off on 27 June at Milford Haven, Wales. Sold in 1947 for conversion to a whale-catcher and renamed Southern Larkspur, she was finally broken up at Odense, Denmark, in 1959.

  • Builder: Marine Industries Ltd., Sorel, Québec
  • Laid down: 11 April 1940
  • Launched: 8 August 1940
  • Date commissioned: 15 May 1941
  • Date paid off: 27 June 1945
  • Dimensions: 62.5 m x 10.1 m x 3.5 m
  • Speed: 16 knots
  • Crew: 85
  • Armament: one 4-inch (102-mm) gun, one 2-pound (0.9 kg) gun, two 20-mm guns (2 X I), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges.

Battle honours

  • Atlantic 1941-1945
  • Gulf of St. Lawrence 1942, 1944
Date modified: