HMCS Antigonish

A naval ship travels through water against a background of snow-covered mountains.

HMCS Antigonish K661 / 301

There has been only one vessel named Antigonish in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Antigonish (K661 / 301)

Commissioned at Victoria, British Columbia, on 4 July 1944, the River class frigate Antigonish arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 22 August and, after undergoing minor repairs, sailed for Bermuda in mid-October to work-up. Upon her return to Halifax on 2 November 1944, she joined Escort Group 16 and transferred with the group to Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in March 1945. During the next three months, Antigonish was employed on patrol and support duty, including two round trips to Gibraltar. She left Londonderryin mid-June, and on 3 July 1945 began a refit at Pictou, Nova Scotia, which was completed by 17 November. On 22 December, she left for Esquimalt, British Columbia, and there, on 5 February 1946, she was paid off into reserve. Antigonish re-commissioned for training on 26 April 1947, and was finally paid off 15 January 1954.

The ship was converted during 1956-1957 to a Prestonian class ocean escort, and again took up her training role until paid off for good on 30 November 1966. She was broken up in Japan in 1968.

  • Builder: Yarrows Ltd., Esquimalt, British Columbia
  • Laid down: 2 October 1943
  • Launched: 10 February 1944
  • Commissioning date: 4 July 1944
  • Paying off date (final): 30 November 1966
  • Displacement: 1,445 tons
  • Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
  • Speed: 19 knots
  • Crew: 141
  • Armament: (as River) two 4-inch (102-mm) gun (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), Hedgehog and depth charges. (as Prestonian) two 4-inch (102-mm) gun (1 x II), six 40-mm guns (1 x II, 4 x I) and two Squid Mortars.
  • Motto : “Be Worthy”

Battle honours

A badge with a golden rim and white background. In the centre of the badge, a black bear breaks apart a branch.

Badge of HMCS Antigonish.

  • Atlantic 1944-1945
Date modified: