Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Protecteur (AOR 509)
Protecteur was commissioned in Saint John on 30 August 1969. During 1973 she joined SNFL for a five month tour along with HMCS Margaree. This was the first time two Canadian units worked with this group and the first time an AOR was assigned to this fleet. She left Halifax on 24 August 1990, as a participant in Operation Friction, Canada’s contribution to the the multinational naval force in the United Nations’ action against Iraq following that country’s invasion of Kuwait, returning home on 7 April 1991. In the fall of 1991 Protecteur made visits to ports in Newfoundland, and a year later journeyed south to offer aid to victims in Florida of Hurricane Andrew. She sailed from Halifax on 15 October 1992 to begin a two-year refit at SRU(P), Esquimalt, returning to service in August 1995. On 9 July 1993, she was effectively transferred to the west coast fleet. On 16 September 1999 she departed Esquimalt to join the multinational forces responding to the crisis in East Timor. After serving as the force logistics co-ordinator for five months, she returned home on 2 March 2000. A major refit was undertaken in 2001, and on 22 May 2002 Protecteur departed Esquimalt to replace Preserver in the Arabian Sea for Operation Apollo.
By the time she returned to Esquimalt in November 2002, Protecteur had sailed more than 50,000 nautical miles (3,000 km) and delivered over 150,000 barrels of fuel. Over the next decade, she was a fixture of Maritime Forces Pacific in national and international exercises such as Trident Fury and RIMPAC, and on several occasions served as the allied MIDPAC oiler. On returning to Esquimalt from one such deployment, on 27 February 2014, she suffered a major engine room fire that disabled the ship, causing her to be towed first into Pearl Harbor and then for return to Esquimalt.
Protecteur formally was paid off on 14 May 2015, remaining at Esquimalt awaiting disposal.
- Builder: Saint John Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Saint John, N.B.
- Laid down: 17 July 1967
- Launched: 7 July 1968
- Commissioned: 30 Aug 1969
- Paid off: 14 May 2015
- Capt(N) D.R. Hinton 30/08/69-13/07/71
- Capt(N) J.P Côté 13/07/71-24/07/72
- Capt(N) D.N. Mainguy 24/07/72-31/05/74
- Capt(N) A.M. Brookbank 31/05/74-12/02/76
- Capt(N) J.C. Wood 12/02/76-28/07/77
- Capt(N) L.A. Dzioba 29/07/77-04/08/80
- Capt(N) R.G. Guy 04/08/80-02/11/81
- Capt(N) R.C. Waller 02/11/81-01/07/84
- Capt(N) B. Johnson 01/07/84-27/06/86
- Capt(N) H.L. Davies 27/06/86-26/04/88
- Capt(N) J.K. Steele 26/04/88-10/07/90
- Capt(N) D.J. McClean 10/07/90-09/01/91
- Capt(N) C.D.E. Cronk 09/01/91-07/04/91
- Capt(N) D.J. McClean 07/04/91-20/11/92
- Capt(N) R.S. Edwards 20/11/92-26/02/93
- LCdr N. Leak 05/02/93-19/07/93
- Cdr W.G. Buckeridge 19/07/93-31/08/94
- Cdr G.H. Gadd 31/08/94-10/07/95
- Capt(N) K.C.E. Beardmore 10/07/95-03/07/97
- Capt(N) D.G. McNeil 03/07/97-07/01/98
- Cdr R.P. Harrison 07/01/98-27/08/99
- Cdr R.A. Maze 27/08/99-15/08/01
- Cdr M.R. Bellows 15/08/01-17/06/04
- Cdr G.R. Peskett 17/06/04-12/08/05
- Cdr K.B. Larkin 12/08/05-07/07/06
- Cdr S.N. Cantelon 07/07/06-19/09/08
- Cdr I.D.H. Wood 19/09/08-01/05/09
- Cdr F.M. Knippel 01/05/09-17/05/09
- Cdr W.S. Bates 17/05/09-15/06/10
- Cdr J.N. Tremblay 15/06/10-06/01/12
- Cdr T.W. Bonnar 06/01/12-12/12/13
- Cdr J.A. Elbourne 12/12/13-20/02/15
- LCdr W.B. Brown 20/02/15-14/05/15
There have been no previous ships in the RCN to bear the name Protecteur.
HMCS Protecteur has earned theatre honours for operations in the Persian Gulf (1991) and Arabian Sea (2002). Following RCN tradition, these honours would be perpetuated to any future ship of this name.
GULF AND KUWAIT
SOUTIEN AVEC COURAGE (Support with courage)